Wednesday 25 February 2009

Contemplation: only 2 more days of Orientation. Then on to the REAL world of Korea.

Wow, I feel so blessed that we are here as a part of this programme. I'm sure it's an answer to many people's prayers. Thanks for praying for us!
So far I don't feel overwhelmed being here, but I know I don't have to do any every day things for myself and I'm with 400 other foreigners and Koreans who can speak some English, so I realise we're safely cocooned like happy little silk worms.

As Rob's already filled you in, I won't recap much. Our orientation is more full-on this week and we're getting very tired, even though we haven't been going into the down town to party like so many others! Apart from one lecturer who unforunately didn't bother to prepare anything to share with us, we have had a wealth of information shared with us. I feel like I've learned some things I could've done with for teaching in Germany. The best new information has been about Koreans and the culture here. I feel more prepared now, for whatever awaits me at my new school next week.

They say it's possible to learn how to read/write Korean in half a day, but it's going to take me a bit longer than that! Especially pronunciation is a problem. So many syllables sound the same. We're picking it up slowly though and using some more every day. I've found some other teachers to practise Deutsch with too. Yay! We should be able to start up a Stammtisch in Busan, should one not already exist :) Can't wait to get internet at our new home. Then we can arrange to skype Germany too! I wonder how Maren's doing after her trip and what Melissa and David's new place looks like and if Bryce passed his driving test - prayed for you bro! And how die Schleuse feels without our Lifties :( How was the men's camp and Kati's last Frauentreffen? How's Miri? Is everybody making the new teacher at ISL welcome? Better not think too hard, I'll get homesick! Just gotta make a little more time for facebook and reading my emails and blogs, but there's only so many hours in each day... Thanks to everyone who's contacted me.
Last night I longed to hang out with Liz and Lilo (sis and Mom-in-law) and this morn I longed to speak to Mum. Thanks technology! Dunno how they survived on just letters in the old days.
wow - look how that morphed from Korean - missing Germany - missing family! I'll try not to ramble in future. It's late. I need to go to bed - Rob's already there.

So I'll leave you with this. I know times are good for us right now and they're about to get harder.
Something from church on Sunday: We discussed Psalm. 27 in its entireity.
"The Lord is my light and salvation. Who shall I fear?"
Rob and I are excited about this time of growth cos no matter how hard it is, we have to use every situation to pull closer to Jesus. Jesus uses hard times to bring us closer to him. He is our light that makes plants grow, so why shouldn't we always be seeking him always? He's so much bigger than all of this.
"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."
I've experienced before - living overseas makes you depend more on God. He's definitely there for us and we're praying you guys all are depending on him too. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear things are going well. Bryce has yet to sit his Driver's Licence - hopefully next week!! I am doing another language course. Kids are well - having the week off cos it's Fasching. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete